John B. Patterson, Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney Attorney at Law
Boca Raton, Florida
Partner; Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney
Telephone: (561) 750-9191
Fax: (561) 750-1574
John Patterson was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and has lived his entire life in South Florida with the exception of his college years attending the University of Notre Dame. After graduating from Notre Dame, John returned to Florida to attend law school at Nova Southeastern University. Upon graduation, he immediately began working for the Office of the State Attorney for the 17th Judicial Circuit, in and for Broward County.
John gained tremendous trial experience while working for the State Attorney’s Office. He successfully tried and convicted defendants charged with criminal offenses in more than 70 jury trials and well over 100 non-jury trials. After serving as an Assistant State Attorney for five years, John decided to enter private practice and took a position with one of the most respected insurance defense firms in the State of Florida, where he concentrated in the areas of product liability and medical malpractice.
As an insurance defense lawyer, John represented several Fortune 500 Companies with product liability claims filed against the corporations. He further represented doctors from the fields of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedics, Family Practice and Thoracic Surgery in Medical Negligence claims.
John decided to leave the insurance defense practice to become a plaintiff’s attorney in West Palm Beach, representing the interests of victims. For the next five years he concentrated in the areas of Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, Medical Malpractice, Products Liability and Mass Torts.
In March of 2006, with a combined 24 years of exceptional trial experience, John and his partner Adam Balkan established their law firm of Balkan & Patterson, LLP. Their practice is devoted to protecting victims in the following areas: Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, Class Actions, Products Liability, Mass Torts, Insurance Litigation and Medical Malpractice.
John is a Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney and is recognized by The Florida Bar as having achieved the highest level of competency and experience of a civil trial attorney. He is also member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He is listed in Who’s Who in American Law from 2002 through the present, is a Florida Super Lawyer for 2011, and was voted to be part of the South Florida Legal Elite 2005 by Florida Trend Magazine, which recognizes the outstanding top 2 percent of attorneys practicing in Florida. In addition in 2011, he was invited to join The National Trial Lawyers, an organization consisting of plaintiff attorneys from around the country. This organization represents the top 100 trial attorneys in each state and honors excellence in legal practice.
- Class Action
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury / Wrongful Death
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Florida, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 2000
- United States District Court, S.D. Florida.
Carol D. SMITH, on behalf of herself and all others similarly situated, Plaintiff, v. WM. WRIGLEY JR. COMPANY, Defendant.
Case No. 09-60646-CIV.
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
Julie FITZPATRICK, on behalf of herself and all others similarly situated, Plaintiff, v. General Mills, Inc., Defendant.
Case No. 10-11064
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1990
- Nova Southeastern University, J.D., 1994
Awards and Honors:
- Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer
- The National Trial Lawyers – Member (Recognizes Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Each State)
- Florida Super Lawyers – Top 5% of Attorneys in Florida
- Florida Trends Magazine’s Legal Elite
- Who’s Who in American Law
- AV-Rated by Martingale Hubbell
Professional Memberships & Leadership Roles:
- Member: American Association for Justice
- Member: Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce
- Former President: Deerfield Beach Rotary Club- Current Member
- Former Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary: Deerfield Beach Rotary Club
- Member: Florida Bar Association
- Member: Florida Justice Association
- Member: Fort Lauderdale Notre Dame Club
- Member: Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member: Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Member: Palm Beach County Justice Association
- Member: South Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Board Member/Legal Advisor: St. Coleman Endowment Fund Board
- Former Chairman: Florida Bar Grievance Committee
- Coach, Lighthouse Point Soccer League
- Former Advisory Board Member: St. John Paul II Academy, Boca Raton
- Former Instructor: Broward County Police Academy
Our Florida trial attorneys represent personal injury, auto accident, defective products, and consumer fraud clients throughout South Florida, including Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Lighthouse Point, Parkland, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, and throughout the United States.
Click here to send a message to John Patterson.